Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bike to work week - why isn't everyone?

It's bike to work week, which means, as usual, I am biking to work. The thing that bothers me, especially in a town the size of Walla Walla, is that there are so few of us biking or walking. People in my building think that biking 1.5 miles to work is a huge athletic feat. Or that walking in the winter when it's too cold to bike is equally astounding.
My morning commute takes maybe 10 minutes. If I drive, then I have to park in one of the city all day lots, which means walking about 5 minutes to get to my office. The time I "saved" by driving is already lost.
Of course, there are days when I take my car - days when I have to be somewhere in the middle of the day that I can't walk to and I need to be wearing my lawyer suit. And I do drive my professional clothes to work once a week, usually on Sunday evening. I filled up my car about 10 days ago. I've gone 21.2 miles in it since.
But all in all, it's so easy. Here's a link on the Cascade Bicycle website that gives a lot of great reasons for biking to work, even part of the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People give me the same awed/dumbfounded/vaguely amused looks when I tell them that we only have one car here in LA (gasp!) and that most days, barring rain/cold/running late, I WALK to work! The horror!

Julie B. said...

My students in the suburbs are also baffled/amused/condescending when I tell them I take a series of buses and train to get to campus. It takes about 30 minutes longer (inefficient PT in the suburbs) BUT I don't get stressed out by traffic and I can read or grade papers (or, the usual, sleep) on the train - NOT things that you can do while driving. It's an extra 1 1/2 hours of "me time" that drivers don't get, plus I spend WAY less on transport than all the other teachers who drive from the city to Palatine. I do miss walking to work, which I could do in Edinburgh.