Sunday, May 4, 2008

76 long miles

Yesterday I did 76 miles. The first 60 miles were easy, incredibly fun on a perfect day. At 60 miles, I hit the dreaded wall. I bonked. At mile 64, I told my husband and brother in law, who were sagging for me, "I'm done." Since we had planned a picnic at the end, we drove up to Camp Wooten. I ate, and felt a whole lot better. At John's suggestion, I rested in his hammock, and then with a bit of encouragement, I said, okay, meet me ten miles down the road.
Looking back at hitting the wall, we had planned a stop in Starbuck (the route being Lower Waitsburg, Bolles Road, and then Alto road, with its marvelous 8 mile downhill to Starbuck). Going down the downhill, I came up behind some farm equipment that took up the whole road. I waited for them, went again, and when they didn't turn off, I pulled over to wait. So, I had a quick snack when the guys came by, and then met them in another 25 miles. That's when I didn't eat enough. I had a bagel and some tea, but at mile 45 it was time for more serious food.
Today I'm going to do some very easy spinning and then tomorrow is a day off. With the Tr-
Cities Century next Saturday, I need to taper a bit this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Mama go! Be the BBB I know you can be!