Saturday, June 28, 2008

Hot and Hilly




A hot, hot rider. Well, actually, it was only 89 degrees on the climb back out of Elgin...I knew it would be a hot day, so I left home around 6:30. I didn't feel super energetic to start with, but just went at an easy pace up the Milton-Freewater hill. After a stop in Weston at the store, I began climbing the back grade, and feeling stronger.




I kept on going up and up. To my disappointment, the Tollgate Chalet is still closed (fond memories of homemade pie ala mode as a reward for the climb from years gone by), but the store at the top was open.
When I got to the store, I went to the ladies room, but I couldn't pee-form. So, I bought a quart of Gatorade and some string cheese. Drank all of the Gatorade and still couldn't pee. Bought another quart and drank most of that and put the rest in my 70 ounce Camelbak. Finally was able to show that I was hydrated.


About then Justin from Allegro showed up, along with Charles Stanger and a couple of Justin's friends from Anacortes. We chatted, and I contemplated going back down with them, but I really wanted extra climbing and hills so that I KNOW that I can do STP in two weeks.
So on I went, past Langdon Lake, the Spout Springs Ski area and the sign denoting the high point of the Blue Mountains at 5136' in altitude.



Then I was at the top of the 13 mile downhill to Elgin. Should I go down or turn around then and there? It was getting awfully hot, and in retrospect turning around there would have been a good choice, but the long downhill beckoned. Swoosh! Thirteen miles of sweet downhill. The last part of the descent I actually had to pedal as there was a headwind, but I told myself that would make the climb back up easier.
I got to Elgin and went to the little park at the edge of town where Jim and I had agreed to meet. It was after 12:30, so I was surprised that I still hadn't seen him. I laid in the shade in the soft green grass, getting all too comfortable. I couldn't get into the restroom of the gas station as you had to have a code; fortunately a co-op member came to fill up his truck, and punched in the code for me. Relief!
I waited a bit longer and contemplated; I had just eaten my last energy bar, and had refilled my Camelbak with water from the tap. I called Jim on my cell, and found out that he was still 40 miles away because he'd had to work late. I sat around in comfort on the grass a bit longer, then decided to head up the hill. I met up with Jim 5 miles later, and he agreed to meet me another 5 miles up the hill. It just got hotter and hotter. By the time we met up, I was done - roasted, toasted, gagging and queasy. I got in the wondrous coolness of the Passat, drank cold liquids and ate. As we got back up to the top of the mountain, I contemplated having Jim let me off, but the lure of the cool was too much. So, I missed the dynamic descent that I had earned, but at least I'd done the hard part. I hope that I'm ready.

No comments: