Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Waitsburg for Barley Wine



On Sunday, RJ suggested that we ride to Waitsburg. I said, okay, that sounds fine. Then she added, we can go to the Laht Neppur brewery while we're there. I thought that she was joking until she asked me where our empty growler was. She was serious!

So, off we went via Lower Waitsburg. There were the obligatory picture taking stops, which were cold due to the wind, especially as I had stupidly forgot to wear my wool jersey. Here is a photo of me bundled up while RJ took pictures of the old Waitsburg flour mill:



To our delight, our friends Clint and Patty were at Laht Neppur. RJ and I ordered a small pizza (carbs, you know), and visited while the owners plied us with small samples. We picked out the barley wine for the growler. When we went to pay, there was an added surprise as our friends had picked up our tab!


Despite the added weight of the full growler, RJ still was about a thousand yards ahead of me at the top of the Waitsburg hill. As Clint told me the next day, he wasn't surprised about RJ toting her growler up the hill at mach 3 . . . barley wine can be very motivating.

The headwind added a high degree of difficulty up the hill for us lesser mortals. If hills were given a degree of difficulty like different swimming dives are (the half-pike, the 3 1/2 twist, the whoop-dee-doo), then the Waitsburg hill with a howling headwind is the whoop-dee-doo, and pretty near to the top of degree of difficulty for me.

No comments: