Monday, January 19, 2009

And more wintry gravel!

Sunday's ride with RJ up Cottonwood Creek/Lone Fir Road produced endorphins, exercise and broken equipment.

Before we got a few blocks, the fender on my mountain bike commuter broke. We tied it to the rack with electrical tape and called it good. By the time we got to Cottonwood Road, I was having a terrible time keeping up with RJ. I looked down when we stopped, and found the source of my slowness: the rest of the fender was now dragging on the rear tire, effectively upping the gear and slowing me down even more than normal. So we removed the fender entirely (see bottom picture) and proceeded to the gravel. It was mostly very rideable until we got to the snow. At that point I got off and walked the 100 yards, and RJ kept going and "cleaned it" without stopping.


When I got home I had that glad-to-be-out of the cold expression.



Here's the remains of the rear fender:





I suppose a fender that lasts ten years gave me my money's worth!

Now, if it can just avoid snowing this weekend, I'll be a happy camper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fender, may she rest in peace after her years of faithful support. Amen.