Sunday, November 2, 2008

San Francisco Images


So, why am I smiling? Because I'd just had the perfect cappuccino - or one of them. See below:


I'd always heard that the streets in San Francisco were steep, but until I was there I had no clue how steep that really got. Here is a picture taken on the street beside our hotel. Jim figured that it was about a 20% grade. No camera magic here.


That same hill, viewed from the bottom. Of course, if your hotel is at the top, you have to get up there:



Ever wonder how the cable cars turn around? The don't just put it in reverse. At either end of their "run" there is a turntable. They glide into the turntable, then the cable car "grips" climb out and push it around like this:



When it gets all the way around, then they turn the peg so that it won't move farther, and then go the other direction.

2 comments:

RJ said...

Oh my, what is Italian for "magnificent"?

And boy, you've got to wonder if you did a study on leg strength of the average SF'an, that they would score above average compared to the rest of us!

Am I going to get the photo tour soon? (please, not all 250 photos.. just pick the good ones! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I think walking up just ONE of those hills would qualify as a daily workout. They must all have amaaaazing calf muscles up there.