Monday, September 1, 2008

Gravel 101

*
I've been intrigued by RJ's ability to ride gravel roads on her road bike, so when we went for a road ride yesterday, we did a little "Gravel 101" on a fairly level bit of road off of Hood road.
Her instructions consisted of:
1. "Just remember - you have to keep going to keep going - so keep pedaling no matter what."
2. "Keep it in a low gear so that you can keep pedaling."

So, we took off, RJ in the lead and me following a safe distance behind. I just kept telling myself to follow her path, and if she could do it, I could do it. I kept r-r-r-r-r-epeating this mantra as we hit some washboard. Still upright and going forward.

After a half a million miles or so, she stopped short of a hill. Well, perhaps a half mile? All was well and intact, so she suggested that we turn around to keep the experience positive. Got home entirely intact.

Today, we went for another ride, and when RJ needed to turn around to get to work, I kept going and turned right onto Foster Road, and went a mile on the gravel. This was beginning to have that bicycle adventure feel to it, something I've not had enough of of late, and brought a grin to my face. I started to get hungry, though, and as I hadn't brought any food along I thought the best part of valor was to turn around. As I started to go downhill, I began to bounce so hard on the washboard that I stopped, positive that I had a flat. Nope, just loose fillings!

I'm looking forward to more adventures and more lessons from "Coach" Jensen. :)


*Picture is actually not where we rode, but is there for mere thematic background.

1 comment:

RJ said...

Ha! "the best part of valor was to turn around"-- that was a good one. :)